The look and quality of vinyl flooring has evolved and there are now some great products that offer excellent alternatives to traditional wood and stone flooring, at a fraction of the cost.
What is luxury vinyl flooring?
Luxury vinyl flooring, as the name suggests, is a high end vinyl floor covering that aims to mimic natural floor types like wood and stone using realistic textures and images. It is more expensive than traditional vinyl, but a lot less expensive than using hardwood or stone. It also offers several other benefits over its natural alternatives.
Luxury vinyl flooring comprises of four layers; a top aluminium oxide-based layer to protect from scratches and scuffs, then a clear layer that offers protection against more extensive damage such as rips. Then there is the layer which features the design – a realistic image of wood or stone, and finally the thickest layer underneath which forms the bulk of the floor and gives it its structure.
What are the benefits?
Aside from the obvious cost benefits, luxury vinyl flooring also has a number of other advantages:
- Where stone flooring can be cold and hard underfoot, vinyl is softer and also warmer as it retains heat.
- Hardwood floors can be damaged by spillages and pets – vinyl alternatives are non-absorbent to liquids and resistant to scuffs and scratches, so they’re very pet and child friendly.
- This kind of flooring is manufactured to be very resilient and durable, so can comfortably withstand high traffic spaces like hallways and corridors.
- It’s moisture resistant so it can be used in all areas, including kitchens and bathrooms where it is an ideal choice as it won’t be damaged by water and spillages.
- Both stone and wood can bounce sound around, but vinyl has sound absorbing properties, reducing noise issues.
- A big advantage is that luxury vinyl is very easy to maintain and clean, it just needs sweeping and the occasional mop or wipe with a mild soap or detergent.
- Vinyl flooring is generally made from recycled materials using environmentally conscious processes, making it a very eco-friendly product.
So if you’re after the look of wood or stone, but you’re under budget constraints or need the practicality offered by vinyl, then luxury vinyl flooring is a great option. With a huge range of designs to choose from in high quality finishes, you won’t struggle to find one that fits in with your scheme.